Recent Posts

Sunday, January 17, 2010

WBM Features: Robyn Z.

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
-Robert Fripp


Vision. Hope. Determination. Perserverance. Heart. Patience. Understanding. Passion. Effort. These are some the things success is made of. And if had the opportunity to take only a glance, you would see those same things in our next feature.

Not only is Singer/Songwriter Robyn Z. successful but she is also quite knowledgable in music business. Such knowledge believe it or not is a key component that made Robyn successful but allows her to have continued success.

With some time to share, Robyn Z. takes WBM on a walk along her path of success. Travel with us, you are sure to find some insight, inspiration, and encouragement.


[As Told To WBM]


So tell me a little bit about yourself:

Robyn: Grab a chair and sit down with me this could take years :)
Here is my story a bit before 1995 till present in 2010. Before getting signed to my first record contract with DM Records, I worked hand in hand with Tolga Katas who is responsible for Linear “Sending All My Love” that climbed to #1. Tolga Katas taught me a lot in the music business and set the stage for me before I got signed. “Good Love” was my first record release when I got to spread my wings as an Artist. It was all because of two producers who heard my voice and loved it. I was not the lyricist on “Good Love”. Robert Bartko and Ivan Kopas take the credit on that song. I was signed to DM Records at a perfect age. I wasn’t naïve anymore though, which could be construed in our business as a bad thing, because a lot of times Labels want naïve young artists that will sell everything away on a prayer that the artist will become a superstar. That is not how I looked at my first deal, I felt it would be in my definite best interest to entertain the deal, even if it meant the label and I were not meant for each other, we all came to a conclusion. I realized at the pinnacle of “Good Love” when the single was achieving radio airplay that I had to do everything myself. When I say this, what I mean is that I had to go out and get my own shows, I hired back-up dancers and we got booked into clubs all over South Florida, I hustled the record on my own to Radio Stations. A lot of work. The Label then flew me to LA to perform in front of their distributors so I learned a lot before I was signed to DM, and then being an actual Artist signed to DM Records brought me to a whole other level. The Label and I spoke frequently about my expectations. They would express they knew I was awaiting my time to make it to the big leagues, they knew my goals. After our talks we decided to part ways. I realized the only way to make it to the big leagues was to do it all myself. In life, it is my motto, that if something is an obstacle, I push my way through it and turn the impossible into possible. Sometimes in life, you need to re-evaluate yourself, your goals. At the time that “Without Your Love” came out, it was 1999; I opened up my own record label and attained national distribution on my own. Here I was as The Artist, The Lyricist, The Business woman, and all the other hats. I was getting heavy rotation in California; I was touring there as well. The thing about me is I am a jack-of-all-trades in business. I have to be business oriented or else nothing happens. At the peak of “Without Your Love” , I was about to get signed to a Major Label, However the dot com crashed and I needed one more P1 station to obtain the deal. I know more than anyone that in order to thrive in this industry, you must invest in yourself .I came back full force, and in 2006-2007 I started writing again, and this time around to Grammy award winners songs and wonderful producers around the world that understand me as a person and we are a team. I love whom I am working with because they let me be me. Back in 95-99 I was told what to write about and I did not like it, because I just wanted to write about real life and real experiences. After all, that is what being real in music is all about!

Interest(s)?

Robyn: My Family, Caring of people around me. Songwriting. Performing. real people. Spirituality. People who I can have intellectual conversations with. Mental Stimulation.


What can you most attribute your musical ability to?

Robyn: I was exposed to all genres of music at a very young age, along with my ability to sing on key at age three which had everyone astounded. My parents threw me into Singing and dance lessons at age five where I was exposed to everything from AL Jolson to Frank Sinatra, to Broadway, to Donna Summer, Frankie Smith “Double Dutch Bus” and I gotta give kudos to my mom for getting me that disco ball that shined up above as I had a green record player dancing in my room! From there it went to Olivia Newton John, to Irene Cara, David Bowie, Michael Jackson was my favorite rest in peace, Madonna, Quincy Jones, there are to many inspiring legends I have that are my influences.

What would you consider your style of music?

Robyn: Pop/Crossover Commercial

What do you like most about being a singer/songwriter?

Robyn: Wow great questions.I honestly love both. Its my original quote that “performing on stage is my home and when I write records i’m in my zone”. Let’s talk about my singing first. I am a natural born singer. What I love most about singing is first and foremost being blessed from god to be able to sing because my voice is a real instrument. Being in front of people and seeing through their eyes, the smile on their faces, if tears come to their eyes, if people are raising their hands in the air, etc then I acknoweledge I have touched people and that their emotions, their real feelings are happy ones. Music is power! Music is undeniable. It touches everyone .This makes me realize wholeheartedly that my voice is a gift from god . To be able to sing and touch anyone’s soul in a way through my voice is the most precious gift for anyone.

Now onto songwriting, I love being able to take a thought into a song and make it into a record! to make an entire story and statement through a record that the world will relate to. Building records as a songwriter is an amazing task. I gel with a song, I listen to it. Sometimes lyrically a song will come to me right away and I catch the hook immediately of where I want to take the record lyrically. Other times I will play the record over and over and sit with it. Being a songwriter is where its at as well as singing because I love writing my own concepts, my ideas, and the beauty of transforming my actual visions, thoughts, creative process, etc . Bringing a record to life lyrically as a songwriter to making the song into an actual record is magic! Then its my baby, the baby is born and it’s up to the masses to accept the record.


What's the thought process behind your works?

Robyn: It comes from personal experience as well as creativity. They are both intertwined. I stay on the path of being real, because that is who I am and I remain that way. It is important for me to stay on top at all times of what trends, however, I am all about legends in the Music Business such as Michael Jackson (RIP), Madonna, these Artists raised the bar and we are lacking this greatly in the music business, so when I go into writing a record I make sure I am staying true to myself as to the world because I am making a statement, not emulating others.



What inspires and motivates you?

Robyn: Well not to be geeky but two personal favorite movies of mine are “Coyote Ugly” and “Music and Lyrics” these two movies show the actual struggle of what it is like as a songwriter and artist both on two sides of the spectrum, I am inspired by the struggling of what I have gone through in my life to get me to where I am today in this moment. I am inspired by creative people that are not afraid to speak their voice. I am motivated by people that are 100 % real in the music business and treat it as a real business.I am inspired by all walks of life but most important my family backs me up 100% = I am always motivated.

How long have you been involved in music?

Robyn: since age three

What type of impact would you like to leave with your music?

Robyn: When I pass away I want to be recognized hopefully that someone would gain from my records because then I know I made an impact. I want everyone to know that I speak the truth through my records, and at the end of the day that truth prevails.

What's in your iPod currently?

Robyn:switching it up at the moment lol

Considering this is the top of the year, what are your plans for 2010?

Robyn:2010 is on like a Firecracker ! I will be writing records with my team of producers so we can get that Grammy!

Any advice for those looking to pursue their musical endeavours? for vocalists?

Robyn: My advice for vocalists is to keep on it constantly, keep practicing, make sure you get as many people to hear you as possible! The reason I am saying this, is there are millions of singers out there, however! you must hone in on your true self. Example: If your friend says you sound good, and another person says you don’t then that singer will get confused, some may give up all together, some may think they are the best singers in the world, but without getting yourselves out there nobody will hear you! If you want to make an impact for yourself as as a vocalist, get out there, start collaborating with other artists, perform in front of as many people as possible.The internet is a powerful tool so use it to your advantage. Between all the social networking sites you may catch a break, and In the real world get out there and sing. You never know who’s eye you may catch that can break you. I am keeping it real.

...for lyricists?

Robyn: Copyright everything you write is number one. Second, get yourself with an affiliation such as BMI, ASCAP, etc. You may even consider opening up a publishing company. It is important as a lyricist to hone in on your own abilities. Being a lyricist is a true gift and better yet, you can make money with writing songs which is even better! My best advice is to write from personal experiences because all those feelings that you may have bottled up, will be translated into a song which may one day become a record.In fact, you may be on your way to having a hit onyour hands. Protect yourself with your lyrics and melodies. Research who you want to work with. If you have a bad vibe of of something, walk away, if your gut says yes it usually means yes! After you have written a song, test it out and send to as many people in the music business as possible to obtain feedback. One may say no, the other may say yes, and the bottom line is that you wrote the song, you own the lyrics,but then...it is up to the public to feel what you write. It is your baby so you much treat is as such. Have confidence in yourself because that is what will drive you to succeed. Never give up!


luv xx
Robyn Z.


For more on Robyn Z.:

0 comments:

Post a Comment