Recent Posts

Thursday, January 14, 2010

WBM Features: J.Gib

When you reach the top, keep climbing.
-Proverb

WBM introduces Jermaine Gibson AKA J.Gib. J.Gib was born and raised in Sacramento, California and has been rapping since he could talk. Like a lot of teens growing up with a domestic violence drug filled life, the safe haven for J.GIB was music.

He battled rapped his way thru junior high and high school and perfect his craft quite well. He began making mix tapes and selling them. His motto was "I wanted Sacramento to have an artist that they could get behind and be proud of."And with that type of mentality he was able to win some major local awards such as Sacramento's Best Rapper award.

Also listen to "Sidekick" the official first single off his debut album "Soul Of The City"

Take a minute and get to know this aspiring artist.



[As told to WBM]


Introduce yourself to the people who already don't know who you are
Lets start off with letting us get to know the real you


So what’s your birth name?

JG: My birth name is Jermaine Gibson that's where the J.GiB comes from

Whats the difference between the real you and your stage persona?

JG: There isn't much difference. Unlike most cats J.GiB the artist isn't an act, I'm not trying to be a character I'm me all the time. But I would say the main difference is I'm a father so when I'm not doing music then I'm talking care of mine. That aspect of my life is calmer trying to be the best father I can be.

How long have you been in the game?

JG: I been rapping since i could talk. But i would say I've been in the music business for about 6-7 years


What's your greatest accomplishment so far in life?

JG: I think my greatest accomplishment has been being a present positive father. That's what I'm most proud of. Musically I would say performing at summerfest on the same stage with Nas and Ludacris two artist who I look up to and respect.


Tell me a little bit about yourself:
Interest(s)?


JG: My main interest are music and family. I love sports though I'm a huge basketball fan. You will catch me watching a game as much as possible. I'm more of a player fan so anytime Kobe or Lebron are on Tv I'm trying to watch. KOBE/LEBRON!

What's your ultimate goal in life?

JG: My ultimate goal in life is to be happy. As i get older and have had success and see the success of others i realize you can spend your whole life chasing these goals and accomplish things and be miserable. I of course want to be wealthy but whatever happens in my future i just want to be happy and live with no regrets.

What do you like most about being in the business?

JG: The music business is crazy. This is really a dog eat dog game. Most things you see from the outside looking in are all smoke and mirrors. At the end of the day I'm in love with the music and people who support the music i make. Other than that I could do without this business straight up. It's hard to be a genuine person in a business full of snakes and vultures and this is the honest truth. The business is based on relationships and money not talent. That's why so much of the music now is disposable because these people in charge are only looking for what can make money right now not what's quality music and artist.

What's the thought process behind your works?
- from personal experience?
- mere creativity?


JG: Most of my music comes from personal experience or the experiences of people around me. But at the end of the day I'm an artist so I do make music that's just artistic and imagination. I just don't lie about a whole bunch of shit like most these rappers do. This fake it til you make is outta control!

What inspires and motivates you?

JG: Inspiration can come from anywhere. Most times it comes from the music. Beats normally dictate where a song is going to go for me. But I can get inspiration from the club, a conversation, trial and tribulations anything.

How was life changed for you since being you started ?

JG: When I started rapping nobody knew me. Now I get recognized all over the place. That's why I refuse to be fake. Because when people start to know you see you out they expect you to be whatever you say you are in your music. So when people see me out it is what it is Soul of the City ya dig.

What would you be doing now, if you never started doing music?

JG: If i wasn't doing music I would be marketing or selling something. I'm a born hustler so I'd be pushing something getting to the money.

What are you listening to in your ipod these days?
...why?


JG: I have a lot of the music we are about to put out in my ipod. Making sure everything sounds the way I want it to. From there I'm listening to 50 and Jay-Z's new albums and a bunch of underground mixtapes. Other than that I don't listen to these rappers to much. Most of these cats are trash to me.

What has been your favorite job you've done so far?

JG: My favorite job is performing. I can't even call it a job I get paid to do what I love. There's no better feeling then performing for a packed crowd of people that respect and love your music

What are you currently working on ?

JG: I'm currently working on my debut solo album "Soul of the City" it's been a long time coming due to politics and push backs but it's gonna be crazy! The lead single is called "Sidekick" produced by Rawsmoov (also produced for Trina, Rick Ross, E-40, and others) Also I'm working on a group album with Takeova artist Simps Da 45 so we staying real busy.


Does any negativity from the media ever affect you in anyway?

JG: Naw i just do me. The media is just there to get a rise out of the people. I don't pay no attention to what they say or think. My music isn't made for them. I pay attention to the opinions of those around me and the supporters that support my music.

Any advice for those looking to pursue their dreams?

JG: Always believe in yourself because if you don't nobody ever will. You also gotta always evaluate yourself and be honest and realistic in your evaluations. Lastly get honest people around you. No yes men!

So what project are you working on now?

JG: Well I just released the "When the smoke clears" mixtape with takeova artist Simps Da 45 mixed and hosted by Dj Gio which is featured on itunes now (itunes link: http://bit.ly/7muSAJ) so we are busy promoting that. Plus I'm working on a group album with Simps Da 45 and my debut solo album "Soul of the City".

What are your goals for 2010?

JG: My main goal for 2010 are to expand my fan base further than it already is. So we plan on released about 5-6 different full length projects starting with "When The Smoke Clears". I also want to tour and travel more. I want to get myself exposed to regions that haven't had the chance to see me and hear my music.

What do you want to be remembered by?

JG: I wanna be remember as a leader who chased his dream, was very successful, and was a positive role model for his family

Anything else you would like the world to know about you?

JG: I appreciate all the love and support of everybody holding me down. Shots out to the Takeova Squad... Takeova In Here!!!


For more on J.Gib:

http://www.myspace.com/takeovaent
http://www.twitter.com/soulofthecity
http://www.facebook.com/jgibfanpage
http://www.youtube.com/takeovaent

0 comments:

Post a Comment