Recent Posts

Thursday, January 7, 2010

WBM Features: Cutty Dre

Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
-Bill Bradley

When you cross an all around country boy with an all around city boy one might not guess one person can come from both worlds. Andre Carpenter who considers himself a music architect is country hearted and city spirited and truly is a defintion of pure talent. Being a musician, producer, and MC Andre has put on many hats and has been able to be successful at what he does. After wining the B.E.T True Artist Talent search, Judge Magic Johnson Called Andre's Band the most original group he had seen in a long time. He has opened up for such artists such as Dewayne Wiggins of Tony, Toni, Tone to E-40 AnDre started H2c Publishing to provide a home for songwriters that would ordinarily not have their music heard. He continues to create new avenues for new artists to come about and actually get heard. He strives to put on great live performances, and really cares about the music.

Take a minute and get to know Andre.

In his own words,


[As Told To Why Blue Matters]



Tell us a lilttle about yourself

My name is Andre' Carpenter. My production name is A.Carpenter and my artist name is CuTTy Dre'.What's the difference between the real you and your stage persona? Haha not much really, my stage persona is just more out going than I would normally be. My stage persona likes to dance, act and engage people. However Normally I like to relax & watch the history channel and read a lot. lol!

How long have you been in the game?


I've been a musician as long as I can remember. My grandmother had me playing piano at a very very young age. I also became interested in the cello at school age because I could not take the piano home. The congas became my ultimate passion, which I've now played for over 15yrs. I began playing in professional bands and producing for known local artists whom are now successful or are still making a name for themselves til this day.

What's your greatest accomplishment so far in life?

I would have to say providing a good life for my Son.

Tell me a little bit about yourself:

Well I was Born in The Phoenix AZ. I lived in AZ until I was about 1yrs old, shortly after I was sent to Keysville GA to live with my grandparents as a small town country boy. I started playing piano at my grandfathers church till I was about 5yrs old. I've also lived in Minneapolis Minnesota, & Dallas Texas, but I mostly grew up In Southeast Washington D.C, Maryland and Virginia. I attended Friendly high school in Fort Washington Maryland, close to senior year I was moved to Cali in 1996 and went to Valley high in Sacramento CA. I continue to travel back and forth from Sac to DC but have lived in Californiaever sense.

What's your ultimate goal in life?

My ultimate goal is to live free, meaning, I want to make my own life choices with my time and enjoy a good life, Traveling the world and performing. And making a couple dollars along the way wouldn't hurt! hehehe

What do you like most about being in the business?
I'm all about the stage show! I love coming up with great ideas for making my show different and exciting.

What's the thought process behind your works?

I am definitely and student of music and try to do it like its never been done before make the people want more give them what they ask for. That personal motto is on my mind before I create a new song or plan a show.

What inspires and motivates you?

I'm inspired by other great musicians, performers and song writer that innovate not imitate. This motivates me to step my game up.





How was life changed for you since you started ?

New networks, new show opportunities, business meeting, requests to do events, people seeking my musicianship & production ect. Music has been a part of my life my whole life and whether I'm rich or poor platinum or local I'm gonna keep grinding.

What would you be doing now, if you never started doing music?

Wow, I can't even imagine, but I come from a family of educators and lawyers so I'd probably be following in their footsteps.

What are you listening to in your ipod these days?

Definitely bumpin that new Jay-Z and being that Im from Washington D.C I Bump a lot of GO GO music from bands like JunkYard Band, Backyard Band, Chuck Brown, EU, Mumbo Sauce, What Band, CCB also I love being up on new stuff that folks not on yet so I listen to a lot of up an coming artists like *NaTiveStaR* Doey Rock, Dezit Eaze, and Vernac! Ya know folks with real skills.

What has been your favorite job you've done so far?

Apple Pro Apps Tech baby! I'm the person you call when your setting up your studio or your having technical difficulties. I produce producers and film directors!

What are you currently working on?

Coming 2010 I'm working on a new record for a female vocalist by the name of *NaTiveStaR*. Plus I'm working on a new group called CuT Supreme Beings. My GO GO band TheCuTlass Supreme is continuing to build the independent label I'm with called N.V.E Ent.
Does any negativity from the media ever affect you in anyway? Not really, I wont say i don't care because I do this for people to enjoy but everyone has their own opinion on art. I take the good with the bad.

Any advice for those looking to pursue their dreams?

Yes! Live FREE! Stay focused and don't give up. Always find a way to give back to your community! Perfect your craft dare to be different find a way to innovate and give the world something new don't be a follower except on twitter! LOL

What do you want to be remembered by?

I want to be remembered as a great musician, producer and a respectable, humble person. So when you speak of me there is a smile on your face and love in your heart!

Anything else you would like the world to know about you?

Yea Look For N.V.E Ent. in 2010 and beyond! We are an up and coming independent label consisting of innovative musicians, producers and artists striving to make great music and touch many lives in a positive way!


For more on Cutty Dre:

0 comments:

Post a Comment