Recent Posts

Sunday, January 10, 2010

WBM Features: K-Shawn

Great work is done by people who are not afraid to be great.
-William Blake


From one extreme to the next you'll never know what side of K-Shawn you’re going to get. He’s very unpredictable while at the same time always keeping you on your toes. K-Shawn is an up and coming artist straight out of Southside Chicago. He's making a name for himself all over the country.

At a young age he realized he had a gift for hustling. What K-Shawn did on the streets, he realized he could do the same with his music. With his unique style that can't be taught and his unique sound, he is set to take the industry by storm.

Take a minute and get to know to K-Shawn.



[As Told To Why Blue Matters]



So what’s your birth name? What’s the difference between the real you and your stage persona?

Kenneth Shawn Hilliard, The real me is less outgoing. K-Shawn is the more extreme me. He doesn’t hold back what he says, does, or thinks. When in K-Shawn mode I’m super cocky. Lol.

How long have you been in the game?

I've only been rapping for about 4 years. I started off in a group called 'Wise Guys' when I was 18 or 19, and I been rappin solo for a year.

What's your greatest accomplishment so far in life?

So far I've only achieved somewhat financial success, but I didn't gain it musically so I have a lot of work to do still.

Tell me a little bit about yourself:

Well I’m halfway crazy in a way so I’m told lol. I can go from one extreme to another really quick. I’m also a studio rat, I get a kick out of creating something from nothing. I really just like to have fun and stay positive.

What's your ultimate goal in life?

My ultimate goal is to just be the best well rounded person I can be. I want to be good and versatile in everything I do.

What do you like most about being in the business?

I like the freedom. There's not a lot of set ways to do anything is this business. It’s all a hustle, you gotta sell youurself to the public basically. Best of all is anything’s possible in this industry!

What's the thought process behind your works?

Well when I make songs sometimes I sit with the producer and pick the instruments I want for the record. And for the words I usually think of either my own personal experiences, or maybe a few that the people around me tell me about or I hear about. My mind just goes to the music.

What inspires and motivates you?

I’m inspired by my peers in the industry everytime I turn on the TV! I watch my peers make there own moves and it just lets me know its possible. Where there's a will there's a way! And my biggest motivation is money! lol

How was life changed for you since being you started?

It’s just on a higher level than ever before. In the beginning I didn’t know what I was doing. And I didn’t have anyone to tell me honestly, I didn’t trust anyone. Now everything has improved everything I do and have has more quality than ever. I think I know how to handle it all a lot better now anyway.

What would you be doing now, if you never started doing music?

I probably would be more in the streets than I am now. I've always been a hustler so I'd still be good as I am rite now, but probably a whole lot more reckless.

What are you listening to in your iPod these days?

I got Jay Z's Blueprint 3 on repeat, got a little Gucci Mane, my bro Yung Berg, and Myself! LOL I been checking out Lady Gaga too she's hot.

…Why?

I’m feeling Jay's whole perspective, he's my rap idol. Gucci keeps the party going. Berg he showed me a lot and definitely has a lot of hits. And I love myself more than anything so why wouldn't I be feeling myself!

What has been your favorite job you've done so far?

I haven't had a real job since I was 17, and as far as events I've only done clubs so nothing really is my favorite job per se.

Does the Negativity from the media affect you in any way?

In the beginning I used to read the comments on like my songs and video's and get mad but I ignore ‘em now. I’m pretty confident in myself so I’m cool.

Any advice for those looking to pursue their dreams?

My advice to anyone pursuing their dreams is to never give up! Try to make a plan to make it happen and even if it doesn’t work just stay at it.

What do you want to be remembered by?

I want people to say he was a real dude, kept it 100 my whole life. One the flyest realest people you'll ever know or hear about.

Anything else you would like the world to know about you?

I got a few mixtapes and mixtapes and video's planned for 2010, starting at the end of February hopefully. Stay tuned and check out my mixtape 'Money Made Me Do It', and my video 'Moviestar'. Follow me on twitter @kshawnmusic and I'll keep you updated!


Thanks for adding more significance to Why Blue Matters

0 comments:

Post a Comment