Recent Posts

Friday, March 19, 2010

WBM Features: Marktavious

For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.
-African Proverb


Marktavious, a unique name causing major buzz in the industry. He is on a mission to create a legacy. His music has purpose while simultaneously trying to change the lives of people in a positive way, influence the world and to make a difference.

Take a moment and get to know Marktavious.



[As Told To Why Blue Matters]





So what project are you working on now?
Introduce yourself to the people who dont know who you are.
Lets start off with letting us get to know the real you.


Marktavious: Right now I’m focusing on promoting the music that I have already released. I’m still recording new music, but that’s for personal satisfaction, I feel like right now I have a few songs that I can DO SOMETHING with, and I want to see if I can make it happen.

What are your goals for 2010?

Marktavious: For 2010 I want to be the best MARKTAVIOUS I can be. I’d really like to see radio airplay,I think that’s my biggest goal.

So whats your birth name?

Marktavious: Marktavious IS my birth name, believe it or not.

Whats the difference between the real you and your stage persona?

Marktavious: There aren’t too many changes; I think that on stage I’m able to take more risks, because I know during the performance you have to OWN THE STAGE, so I make sure that people remember who I am when we all leave the venue. Whereas walking in a store I wouldn’t purposely try to draw so much attention to myself.

How long have you been in the game?

Marktavious: I’ve been singing forever, I’ve been pursing a serious music career since 16.

What's your greatest accomplishment so far in life?

Marktavious: Someone told me that one of my songs helped them make a very important decision. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing my music, even this early on, is helping someone.

Tell me a little bit about yourself:
Interest(s)?


Marktavious: All of my interests pretty much deal with music. I’m actually a fan of Jazz and Classical performance, so I study that as well, a lot of people don’t know that.

What's your ultimate goal in life?

Marktavious: To create a legacy. To change the lives of people who like my music, to influence the world. TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you like most about being in the business?

Marktavious: Meeting people and networking. You never know who is going to give you your next opportunity or who you can provide with an opportunity.

What's the thought process behind your works?

Actually when I sit down to write a song, and as I’m writing, I always think “What can I do with this on stage” or “What could I do with this in a video”. I love the idea of creative performances and visuals; not doing what people would expect.

What inspires and motivates you?

Marktavious: I am really self-motivated, and you HAVE to be, but I love when someone tells me that my music has made a difference in his or her life - that keeps me going.

What would you be doing now, if you never started doing music?


Marktavious: I would be in college pursing a career in dentistry or dermatology. I’m actually going back in August; I took the semester off to focus on music. I can’t say that I’m going to choose the same career path though.

What are you listening to in your ipod these days?

Marktavious: Stevie Wonder, Ella Fizgerald, Young Money, Josh Hurt, a lot of live performances.

...Why?
Marktavious: Right now I’m writing new music, usually, when I write new music I try to stay away from the current commercial music to see what I can come up with on my own.

What has been your favorite job you've done so far?
Marktavious: I performed at a function for cancer patients not too long ago.

What are you currently working on?

Marktavious: Right now I’m focused on promoting my songs [In Your Lane/Getting’ It Right]. I’m still writing new music, however, I’m not releasing it because promotion is a big deal to me, and I want to see what I can make out of ONE song.


Does any negativity from the media ever affect you in anyway?


Marktavious: I’m not at a level where I really get negativity from media. People love to give opinions and comments, which are sometimes negative, but I understand everyone has an opinion. As the artist, I have to know what to filter out, what’s “hate” and what’s “criticism”.

Any advice for those looking to pursue their dreams?


Marktavious: Nobody gets something for nothing. Invest in yourself, create a plan, and know EXACTLY what you have to do every day when you open your eyes.

What do you want to be remembered by?

Marktavious: The way I changed peoples lives, the effect that I had on the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment