Recent Posts

Thursday, March 4, 2010

WBM Features: Cupid



Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him.
-Albert Schweitzer

The most extraordinary and possibly one of the most phenomenal things about music is that regardless of where a person is from and/or their gender music has away of communicating to and connecting with humanity on levels way beyond just the surface. It's metaphysical. It's universal. And with its universality, music not only touches but moves humanity in a fashion that no hand could ever do.

Let's take singer/songwriter and Lousiana native Cupid, for example. He with his craft ability and gift was able to with his hit song, Cupid Shuffle set a new Guinness World Record for the world's largest line dance when more than 17,000 people in Atlanta line danced to his song at the Ebony Black Family Reunion Tour. With this same song Cupid earned over a 1,000,000+ downloads and positions on the Billboard Charts.

However, it doesn't stop there. Cupid is still touching people with his music, especially with his latest single Do My Ladies Run This Party and has plans this Spring to release his sophomore album, "Feel Good Music." With some time to share with Why Blue Matters, Cupid gives the world to know him a little bit better and the opportunity to know what he has planned for 2010 and beyond.



[As Told To Why Blue Matters]






Who is Cupid?
Cupid: A Young Blessed person who uses the talent "Singing and the craft "music" so spread happy feelings throughout the masses.

How did you come up with the stage name?

Cupid: In high school I wud sing the song Cupid @ a lot of talent shows. I was pretty shy and quiet, so must chicks didn't know my name. After that and several other talent shows chicks just started knowing me as the guys who sings "cupid" and it stuck from there!

Interest(s)?

Cupid: Outside from making music I am a huge football fan. I also enjoy the gym. That's one of the most relaxing places I know.

Where are you from?

Cupid: I am born and raised in Lafayette Louisiana, Home of the zydeco music and the Best food in the world "Hands down"!

What would you consider your style of music?

Cupid: Back in the day, James Brown and Jackie Wilson had the kind of music that made you wanna dance. I feel like I am following in those footsteps as an R&B artist, where I sing but I can chrge up a party in a minute with my style of music

How did you get involved in music?

Cupid: I have always been able to sing and @ the age of 7 joined the choir @ church. I grew up in an era where R&b dominated the airwaves so being able to sing was the coolest thing. Once I found out chicks liked it, I did it all the time!!! Lol

What does music mean to you?

Cupid: Hands down music is so powerful. In a baptist church the music sets the tone for the message. And it can put u in another place and as a musician I feel that I must use this power to make folks feel good inside, that is why I was placed on thi planet

How has that meaning evolved over the years?

Cupid: As I've matured, I have grow to know what music is and the purpose. I keep in perspective that I am here for a reason. That is why I give 100 everytime a note is delivered from my mouth. That's that power and again using it for the greater good is my duty--

Who are some of your influences?

Cupid: Stevie Wonder, james Brown, Reese Allen, Brian McKnight. I have so so many, cause my ears gravitate to All types of music. These are the people I remember listening to aroung the time I decided to want this for a career.

Who would you like to collaborate with?

Cupid: If I could do a duet with anyone right now it would be Jasmine Sullivan. I think she is amazing. Also fantaisa, and as far as rappers, I'd like to have a hook on EVERY rap album that drops for the next 5 years. I wanna work with erbody,!

What does it mean to be an artist in 2010?

Cupid: To be an artisy with all that's going on with the industry is truly a blessing.

So you have a new single out. Tell me a little bit about that. Do you have an album to follow?

Cupid: My new single is titled "Do my ladies run this party" OMG it is a Club Banger!!! I did this song for the ladies because the Ladies control the party. Straiaght up. So I figured doing an anthem for them wud be a crazy idea. Everytime I perform that song no matter if they haven't heard it before of not, it gets CRAZY at the shows

You have accomplished a significant amount. How do you stay consistent?

Cupid: I just do the music and hope that the consumer and my fans follow and appreciate what I deliver. You just have to do music for the love of it. You get a better appreciation of it if its something u love rather that something your doing just to pay a bill or 2. I do it cause I love it!

What are your thoughts about success?

Cupid: Success is what you want out of it. Just because your not on videos everyday doesn't mean you aren't a successful musician. They are so many ways to find sucess in what u love. Set a goal and try to acheive it. The closer you get to it, the more success u have achieved!

What can the world expect from Cupid this year?

Cupid: A darn good time, imma make a lot of cities jump, a lot of clubs and family reunions happy and the world will learn More about the guy who brought the world the cupid shuffle!

Any advice for those in pursuit of their musical endeavours?

Cupid:

The coward never start
The weak die along the way
And only the strong survive

0 comments:

Post a Comment