Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

WBM Features: Denee Baptiste



It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
-Shanna LaFleur



With movements similiar to someone proficent in writing or painting, a dancer moves with grace. However the only difference between the two is that instead of wielding an instrument to create masterpieces, the body of a dancer becomes the instrument while simultaneously becoming the masterpiece. Interestingly enough, the next feature of Why Blue Matters, Denee Baptiste moves fluently and everyday is taking one step closer to mastery.

Follow Denee as she makes her next move.

With some time to share with WBM, Denee discusses a little bit about herself and her sentiments on dance.


[As Told To Why Blue Matters]





Who is Denee Baptiste?

DB: Denee is a combination of her parents. One parent being kind, understanding, funny, cool, a people’s person and the other being logical, stern, and passionate. All of these traits help to create one spunky little "Warrior Princess" (lol) I am an entertainer, hands downs, its one of the reasons I breathe. God blessed me with a gift and I believe it’s my job to share it. What a lot of people may not know about me is I love being apart of the creative process. Meaning, I like to share my opinion on costuming, lighting designs, concepts, etc. I like to be the person the choreographer uses to create their masterpieces. It gives me great joy :-)

Where are you from?

DB: I am from New York City, Harlem to be exact. I’ve lived there my entire life. I was born on the block where I live, literally. However my ethnicity is Antiguan/Irish.

Interest(s)?

DB: I loves family time, Enjoy being with my lover, partying with my friends, shopping, taking pictures (memories are forever), Performing with The Vixens, writing, taking walks, watching movies and eating chocolate, bowling and playing air hockey…

What do you like most about being involved in dance and choreography?

DB: Besides performing would have to be traveling to different parts of the world and experiencing other forms of dance that many are not exposed to or even know exist. I believe dance is a gift that is constantly giving. Each one, teach one.

What's your favorite style of dance?

DB: It would have to be..... All of them! Honestly, they’re all different forms of expression. I love that

How long have you been involved?

DB: IVE BEEN DANCING forever... Thinking back, my dad was always teaching me different moves. I was always in dance contests at the block parties and birthday parties. Then my older sister formed a group for my friends and me. My Junior High School and my High School were both performing arts based. The schools specialized in dance, art, music (both vocals and instruments), stage tech, and acting. In JHS I was involved in mainly dance and the choir. High School I dabbled in all of the arts, but I graduated HS and really got into dance full throttle.

What inspires you?

DB: Everyday I wake up and I thank God just to be here for another day. There is so much going on in this world and so many people didn’t make it to see 22 years old. With all the talent in the world, people get caught up in worldly activities and become products of their environments. Some people start off in bad situations and are then afraid to share their talent. This is my inspiration! This inspires me because I am from one of the roughest neighborhoods in New York City, but I never became a victim. I want to be the example. I want to let people know that there is a world outside of the one you live in. There is hope for you to be more than what you might be exposed to.

What motivates you?

DB: My family motivates me. My family is very supportive and all are successful in their own right. They stand behind me in every decision that I make and are always there to give guidance and correct me if I’m wrong. They push me to want to be better and go further in life.

What type of opportunity has dance created for you?

DB: I’ve had the honor to work with some of the best choreographers veterans and up and coming, such as NuStylz, Jermaine Browne, Brice D. Vick, Torey Nelson, Hollywood, Devon “Pony” Webster (just to name a few). I’ve been on stages with awesome artists such as Brandy, Ashanti, Anna Vissi, and Ryan Leslie. While working I am able to build new relationships both professional and friendships. I'm able to learn and grow things about myself while doing something I love. Did I forget to mention that I have been blessed to see the world? AMAZING!

Who would you like to work with?

DB: I'd like to work with Artists; Pink, Usher, Madonna, Ciara, Beyonce and ummmmmm… This list can go on for days. Choreographers; Rhapsody, LUAM, Mia Michaels, Debbie Allen, and Wade Robson.

What's in your iPod?

DB: I'm listening to Betty Wright, Beres Hammond, Jay Karan, Chris Brown, India Irie, Amerie, Chaka Khan, Prince, T.I, Michael Jackson, John Legend, Fantasia, Trey Songz, Jessica Simpson, Karsh Kale, Keith Sweat, R Kelly, Ciara, Lil Mama… Im all over the place… lol

What would you do if you weren't dancing?

DB: If I had not chose dance I would be heavy in the fashion industry.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

DB: 5 YEARS FROM NOW…. My plan is to have a bachelors degree in Social Work and Psychology. I have a few ideas that I want to put in action once I have my degree. I'm just not exactly sure where I want to start, but as I get older I'm sure I will have a definite answer. If you were to ask me this question in 2 years I will have an answer for you.

What's your biggest accomplishment?

DB: This has nothing to do with dance or the industry, but I just learned to cook. I’m residing in Athens, Greece. Before I came here I only knew how to make fried waffles and scrambled eggs; sad but very true. I have a very weak stomache and I was constantly eating out and ending up sick at the end of the night. I was between a rock and a hard place. It was either learn to cook or starve, so I had no choice but to put my pans on the fire. I am absolutely in love with cooking and creating new dishes. I'm constantly looking up new recipes and testing them out on my friends here. I’ve been getting great responses so I’ve been creating a nice menu…

Any future projects?

DB: “What GOD has for me, will be for me”

What type of impact would you like to leave with your involvement in dance?

DB: Just know that every time I dance whether it is on stage, a class, family reunion or on the train, IM DANCING WITH MY HEART NOT MY FEET.

Any advice for those looking to pursue their art & entertainment goals?

Learn your business. A lot of us are blessed with opportunity, but are sometimes taken advantage of because we don’t know what we are getting into. Learn everything there is to know, language, rates, etc. If you are serious about this industry, learn it. Not everyone is blessed to have an agent to negotiate your fees, etc. ALSO please don’t dance as a favor to anybody or because people say you’re good. Make sure its what you want for yourself. Make smart decisions and make everyday count because tomorrow is NOT promised to anybody.

0 comments:

Post a Comment