Recent Posts

Monday, March 1, 2010

WBM Features: Jx3



Art is when you hear a knocking from your soul - and you answer.
-Star
Richés


If music is what Star
Richés sentiments are to art, than WBM's next feature, Jx3 is the catalyst that whenever his music is plays the ears of any and everyone at any given time can't help but to listen. The music of Jx3 upon first note and lyric is undoubtedly captivating and he has universal concepts that are very easy to relate to.

With already a significant amount accomplished recording and performing with some the hottest artists in the music industry today, Jx3 makes quite the impact outside of his artistry as a songwriter/emcee/producer/arranger by making further contributions to the arts & entertainment as an on-air radio personality on Power 98.3 in Phoenix, Arizona.

Come get a closer look into the life and mind of Jx3 as he shares his experiences as an artist with Why Blue Matters.




[As Told To Why Blue Matters]




Who is Jx3?


Jx3: Jx3 is Jarard J. Johnson. He is an attentive son, a reliable friend, a passionate dream chaser, and a diligent worker who utilizes humility and God as fuel to propel him to the highest of highs, and the furthest of distances

Where are you from?

Jx3: I am from everywhere. I grew up in between Denver CO, and Detroit MI, but my culture, and childhood exposures have been fed from all different extremities.

Interest(s)?

Jx3: I am an entertainer by nature, not nurture, therefore my main Interest is people. I get a high from being able to affect the mood of others in a positive way. it feeds me. Music is in the roots of who I am, so I have always been one to saturate myself with it....in all different forms. I love instruments, I love sound, I love rhythm, I love lyricism, I love creativity.

How did you get involved in music?

Jx3: Music got involved in ME, while I was being created. God made me with a talent to formulate words together in creative ways, and tell stories via rhyme and rhythm. I come from a musical family, with my uncle Rafael (formally a guitar player for Little Richard), and my mother and father having ties to the industry in the 70's. I'm one of those kids whose mother ALWAYS had music as a part of life, and always had soul in the blood.

What does music mean to you?


Jx3: Marvin Gaye said it best when he said "Music is the soul of a man." There is no better explanation then that.

How has that meaning evolved over the years?


Jx3: By me being able to recognize the strength that music has over the way a person feels. When you want to feel a certain way, regardless of whether it is happy, melancholy, angry, in love....whatever....there is a song or musical selection out there that has the ability to transform your mood into exactly what you desire it to be. THAT is POWER.

Who are some of your influences?

Jx3: Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, Ne-Yo, and Snoop Dogg just to name a few.

Who would you like to collaborate with?


Jx3: Ashanti, Ne-yo, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Musiq Soulchild, Ludacris, Latoya Luckett....among others.

What does it mean to be an artist in 2010?

Jx3: The game is MUCH different than it was a few years ago, and will be different in a few years than it is now. The key is to be able to be relevant, regardless of what stage in the cycle the industry is in at any given time. I feel that artists who grasp and respect this concept are the ones who seem to have severe staying power. I feel that in order to do that, you must make music that has that power that I described earlier. That power to control or manipulate one's mood, or the way they FEEL.....Music that makes someone say, "Man, I FEEL that. I'm dealing with the same emotion."

I understand you have an album that's about to drop. Tell me little about it.

Jx3: YES. The Album is called "Mathematics" and I titled it that because of this...
Mathematics is the only TRUE universal language. It is the one thing that ALL people, regardless of race, religion, socio-economic status, language, or creed have in common. We all use Mathematics in so many ways throughout our everyday lives. THAT is how I feel this album is. It has something that YOU will be able to relate to, regardless of where you fall in the above mentioned.....atleast one song on there that will make you say "Damn, I can relate to that." There are songs on there about everyday things humans deal with, whether it is love, hardship, partying, heartbreak, or envy....regular people situations.

Biggest accomplishment?


Jx3: My biggest accomplishment has been having the position of respect and attention to be able to affect people. I have the power of a MICROPHONE, the power to affect the way people feel about them. I don't know if it can possibly get greater than that.

What inspires you musically?

Jx3: LIFE inspires me musically. As you listen to the album, you will quickly learn that everything I talk about is something that we all go thru at one point or another. As things happen to me to make me grow, be them positive or negative, they become inspirations to me.

What keeps you motivated?

Jx3: My faith in God and the belief that I can change what I can control, is what keeps me motivated. There are alot of disappointments in this business, some of which can make you wanna give up. However, I find that when you focus FULL efforts solely on the things you have control over, and let the things you cannot control work themselves out, more often than not, you will see that you feel a certain sense of accomplishment...even if your ultimate goal isn't reached. I know that I have a good product, because I can control that. So even if I NEVER sell a million records, or sit on the couch with Terrence and Roxci, I'm still motivated to share my stories thru music.

What does success mean to you?

Jx3: I don't really know, because I haven't had the feeling that I have reached "success" yet. I promise I will email you when I have obtained that feeling...I imagine that it is an amazing feeling.

What type(s) of opportunity has music allowed you participate in?

Jx3: I have been blessed to gain countless relationships, I have performed on shows with some of the big heavyweights in the game in from of 15,000 people. and I have a catalog of (in my opinion) great songs that I feel really good about.

How are you able to balance your life as an artist while doing what you do on radio?

Jx3: I think the main thing, is that I do not consider it "work". I believe that u can only call something "work", when you would rather be doing something else. Because of the fact that there is NOTHING else I would rather be doing, I live a life with a constant good time, so I'm able to just go fast and hard, without ever thinking about how fast and hard I am going.

What type of impact would like to leave with you work?

Jx3: I want to be known as a guy who in radio, made you feel better about your day than u did before...and whom you RELIED on for that. As an artist, I want to be known as one who made music you could relate to, and turned to when you wanted to feel a certain way...

Any advice for those looking to pursue their goals and dreams?


Jx3: You are going to deal with ALOT of disappointment, before you get to where you want to be. however look at it like this...if you never experience disappointment, you cant appreciate it when you reach your peak. without pain, you are unable to recognize BLISS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment