Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WBM Music: Alicia Keys Brings A Great Element (Of Freedom) To Music

http://www.aliciakeys.com (official web page)

Alicia Keys has never disappointed. So I have high hopes for her latest album "The Element of Freedom". Right off the back "Love is Blind" opens a set and shows so much growth musically and vocally. When I first heard track three "Doesn't Mean Anything," it took awhile to grow on me and now I love it. I wouldn't have picked it to be the first single cause it doesn't represent the album in whole. "Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart" is one of those songs that won't go away and will be on radio and video for a long time. It quickly became on my fav. Alicia Keys songs.

Lyrically this is some of her best work to date, she's opened up a lot and tries new things vocally. "Like the Sea" "Un-thinkable (I'm ready)" are worthy mentions. Alicia has been able to capture some elements of the 80s and incorporate with her latest sound. I think I would have enjoyed "Put It in a Love Song" with Beyonce on the track. She (Beyonce) holds back a great deal from her usual vocal delivery. "Distance and Time" is one of those tracks you can throw on when your having a bad day.

Element of Freedom came out a good time, the winter season. You can throw it on and warm up to a nice fire. Find a good cuddle buddy and enjoy yourself. It's a very mellow album, no club bangers, it ends with a stripped version of "Empire State of Mind." True Alicia Keys fans will enjoy this album. She's always had that crossover appeal and didn't disappoint.


0 comments:

Post a Comment