Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

WBM Features: George Reefah

Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something do with struggling, enduring and accomplishing.
-Unknown Author

The U.S is finally getting a taste of what Canada has to offer. Born in Toronto George Reefah mixes an old school vibe with a taste of futuristic beats. He gives you flawless flows and gives you that direct delivery to feel what he is talking about. It takes true talent to make the struggle to succeed seem effortless. Take a minute and get to know someone you soon will be hearing a lot about.

Let me introduce ya'll to George Reefah currently residing in NY.



[As Told To Why Blue Matters]




So whats your birth name? Whats the difference between the real you
and your stage persona?

Hahaha, well my birth name is Michael George Powell so thats where the
George in my stage name comes from...Reefah comes from an old neighbourhood
nickname that I grew up with...ill leave the reasons why up to your
imagination :-)

There aren't to many differences between Michael Powell and George Reefah. I
would say that Michael Powell is the level head behind the animated George
Reefah. Its very easy for artists to loose their heads in this tornado we
call the music industry but as long as you have a level headed alter ego to
keep you grounded you should be aight. Thank god for Michael Powell
hahahahah...

How long have you been in the game?

I've been doing my thing since 2006...wouldn't say im a veteran just yet but
I've been around...Ive had my share of ups, and more ups...

What's your greatest accomplishment so far in life?


I've got to say my greatest accomplishment in my life is moving to NYC...I
kinda just quit my job, put everything out on the table and said I'm goin in
with this music thing full speed...and from there I went from staying in a
small studio space with my brother and his wife in brooklyn to finally
getting my own place Downtown with my best friend and business partner
@lynxzGC. This was by far the biggest mountain for me to climb and I did
it!!!! so im very proud to say that this is my greatest accomplishment so
far.

Tell me a little bit about yourself:
Interest(s)?

I really enjoy working actually. Goin out and finding new ways of getting
my music out is actually what I love doing more that anything else. Im a
huge football fan...GO VIKINGS!!!!! hahahahaha....but ya, hopping off a
plane, getting to the hotel room, rollin something up and vibin out to some
ill dub reggae before I party the night away is probably what I like doing
most outside of Pushing my music and watching football.

What's your ultimate goal in life?

My ultimate goal in life is to be able to eventually spend all of my time
and I mean "ALL" of my time with people i enjoy being around. Whether that
is with my best friends, or my wife, or my kids, or whatever...I just want to be
able to spend all of my time with people who I love to be around. Thats
all...If I can do this before I die, I will die a happy man...

What do you like most about being in the business?

The Challenge: I love "trying to make it" it feels amazing...Everyday you
wake up you never know what the day will bring. On so many occasions I've
went to bed saying "Wow, when I woke up this morning i had no idea that
would happen!!!" nothing makes me say that more than the music industry
does.

What's the thought process behind your works?
- from personal experience?


Umm...pen and a pad is essential...I'm not a fan of the blackberry memo
pad...the feeling just doesnt come out the same...or maybe I gotta see the
eye doctor...ahhhh either way...as long as i got a pen and a pad in the
studio im happy...and a lil sip of some St. Remy isn't a bad thing either
:-)

-mere creativity?

When it comes to creativity, I like to keep a 2 people around me in the
studio...The Producer, and My friend Marco Capo...The producer ususally
tells me musically what we need to get out of a record, and more often than
not I take their advice, Thats usually what we're paying them for anyways.
And Marco Capo who comes from an opposite musical background helps me keep
my listening audience as broad as possible. When i write, I try to tap into
the lovers of Hiphop, RnB, and soul which I do quite easily but Marco's
opinions allow me to still connect with lovers of Rock, Pop, and Dance music
which is a bit more difficult for me to do on my own.

What inspires and motivates you?

My business, My label, My best friend Marco Capo, and Obama...Those 2
things and those 2 people motivate me everyday!!!!! They remind me that no
matter how hard things may seem...anything is possible!!!!!!!

How was life changed for you since being you started as a rapper?

It only changed when i moved to NYC. It was at that point when I became
George Reefah 24/7...before that it was easy for me to fall into everyday
Michael Powell life, Now im so George Reefah 24/7 that im George Reefah
2247...hopefully yall get that one... :-)

What would you be doing now, if you never started doing music?

*Hahahaha... fixing light fixtures on a high rise construction project
somewhere in Toronto Canada maybe...I was doing my electrical apprenticeship
before I started rapping full time...

What are you listening to in your ipod these days?

Wow...I love this question...Blakroc defiantly, some old school Tricky,
Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, The Blueprint 3 too!!!! Im a big Dub Reggae
guy too!!!!*

Why?

*To me these albums and artists right now teach me the most about the
creation of my project I guess...*

What has been your favorite job you've done so far?

Hahahaha...Rapping By a Mile

Does any negativity from the media ever affect you in anyway?

Not at all, Ive been blessed to have all positive media exposure up until
this point, hopefully i can keep that going over the span of my career!!!*

Any advice for those looking to pursue their dreams?

Get ya money up!!!!!...This business is no different than if you had dreams
of opening up your own restaurant, or opening up your own construction
business or whatever. Most artist are entrepreneurs deep down inside, and
the best way to capture your dream, in my eyes...is to get your start up
capital up...once you do that, the rest is easy...just do you!!! people
will...and I mean "WILL" catch on!!!!!

What do you want to be remembered by?


I'm in the process of creating that answer, it'll take me a few years to be
able to truthfully answer that question...one things for sure...Im definatly
on the right path to truthfully answering that question!!!!*

Anything else you would like the world to know about you?

Ummm...nahh you pretty much covered it...just say stay in touch with ya
boy Reefah...im at myspace.com/georgereefah, twitter.com/greefah and
www.georgereefah.com its been a blast people...Ill talk with ya'll soon!!!!*

Thanks for adding more significance to Why Blue Matters

Thank you again

0 comments:

Post a Comment