Recent Posts

Monday, December 14, 2009

Candy Couldn't Get More Sweet

Our thoughts create our reality-- where we put our focus is the direction we tend to go.
-Peter McWilliams

As we developed into who we are and what we would like to become, our minds during that process were significantly influenced. Whether by our peers, parents or role models, we had, and probably to this day, this idea of the who's who, the what's what, and how it relates to our perception of the world.

For one focused-minded young woman from Philadelphia, PA, the vision of who she is and what she wishes to become is quite clear. Candisha Hickman, or Ms. Candi as I know her is a very success driven model and singer with goals to reach. Here with WBM, Candisha gives some more insight into what she's all about, where she's from and what the future holds.


[As Told To Why Blue Matters]


So tell me a little bit about yourself:


Well My name is Candisha “Candi” Hickman and I’m a model and singer

Interest(s)?

Some of my interest are modeling, singing (have some songs I‘m working on), dancing, I’m a huge basketball fan, I love video games, especially vintage games like Mario Bros., Sonic, and Mortal Kombat, I’m a big kid, I’m a cartoon fanatic, I’m a sneaker head and shoe freak, I’m a tech head, and I’m really into graphics

Where from?

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA

How did you get started in modeling?

I first got interested in modeling when I was in high school. I was in my cosmetology class and we had a speaker coming in to talking about modeling for some reason, it caught my attention, and shortly after I enrolled in modeling school. After I finished I didn’t really take it to seriously cause I felt like I was wasting my time, about 2 years ago I hooked up with a modeling team and realized that this is really what I want to do, next to singing modeling is my passion. So every since I’ve been going hard and handling my business.

What do you like most about the industry?

I love meeting different people in the industry and hearing their different success stories. I try to take a little bit out of each story, wither good or bad, and try to learn from it and hopefully follow the blue print to success and learn from others mistakes.
What makes you stand out from the rest?
I’m not afraid to go outside of the box, what some others may refuse to do I’m absolutely not. I like to try new things and explore different artistic ideas.

What's makes you smile?

Having a good time with good friends and family makes me smile, watching a Kevin Hart special (lol), good food, good drinks, shopping, oh and Chris Paul (lol, j/k)

What's one thing, people wouldn't normally consider you doing?

Playing basketball, every time I tell someone I used to play in high school they always say the same thing “I cant see you doing that, you look to girly to play ball” I wasn’t always a girly girl, lol

How important are credibility and integrity to you?


Credibility and integrity is extremely important to me, its very hard to find those qualities in a person in this industry. I try my best to surround myself with people who are trustworthy and honest. Its not only important for the people around me to be that way but for me to maintain those qualities as well.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing what you do now?

I would either be a graphic designer or a video game developer.

Biggest Accomplishment?

So far, doing the Meek Millz “Make em Say” video, the Miskeen Fashion show, and the biggest recently is starting my own entertainment company, which I just merged with a company based out of Atlanta called Megabuck ENT. We have pop, hip-hop, and R&B artist, fashion designers, engineers, drummers, guitar players, and a number of other talents.

Where do you see yourself 5 yrs from now?

Five years from now I would have graced the cover of KING and Complex magazine, and have at least one number one Pop/R&B hit on the charts

Any future projects?

Right now I’m working on a few songs, I’m actually going into the studio within the next few days to lay some tracks down, I’m working on promotions for different events such as the Hot 97 ski trip and a few other things, and I’m working on my up and coming fashion show/showcase. Really excited about that. Also I’m looking to get involved in more on screen and print work.

What type of impact would you like to leave?

I would like for everyone to look at me as a hard worker and go getter, someone who never backed down from a challenge, I want later on down the line for young girls to look at me and say “I want to be like Candi, I want to do the things she did.”

Any advice for those who want to pursue their modeling aspirations?

Stay focused, if modeling is the career you want you have to stay focused and grounded. Get your face out there, no matter how small or little the job may seem look at every opportunity as a chance to network to get you bigger and better jobs. This industry is all about getting noticed. If you call yourself a model, when you walk out in the street you should look like one at all times, no matter if your wearing stilettos or Nike’s. work on your walk and you facial expressions, the right expressions could make or break a good photo. And most important you have to hustle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment