Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

WBM Features: Kathy Martinez

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson

Quite confident in what she wants out of life and the impact she plans to have on the lives of others in the process is aspiring actress/model Kathy Martinez from New York. Though currently studying to perfect her craft in arts and entertainment, Kathy has mindset of a veteran, while at the same time as eager as someone hungry for more knowledge and experience.

It takes vision, it takes poise, determination and most importantly a wilingness to make an impact in the world. Kathy is more than ready to do so.

Let's take a moment to get up close and personal with her.




[As Told To Why Blue Matters]




What do you like most about being an actress?


What I like most about being an actress is being able to express myself and others. Naturally, I am a shy person. Very timid and cautious of who I associate myself with and converse with. Being shy does not mean that I do not have a lot to say. Acting allows me the opportunity to step out my box and comfort zone. It allows me to roam freely into my deepest of emotions. Most importantly, it allows me to enter into thoughts and lives of others with out intrusion. I was invited.


What inspires you?

Martin Lawrence inspires me. I think that he is the epitome of a comedic genius, excellence, and success. Martin Lawrence makes me want to do better. I won’t stop until I become just like him in successful measurements. I grew up watching Martin Lawrence. I remember when I was a child me and my family would gather around our small television to watch him. He made me and my family happy. That is what I want to do, make people happy and encourage them to forget about their problems. My second inspiration comes from my desire to represent darker skin Latinos in a positive light. In Latino television there are little to none representation of Latinos on television. When you do see a dark skin Latino, many of the roles they play are servants and slaves. I will be the exception and others who come after me and will be the exception too. They will be able to play a leading role in a successful Latino pilot.


How Long have you been able to balance what you do?


I’ve been able to manage both school and acting since the age seventeen. Since the age seventeen, I made the conscious decision to pursue acting professionally. I didn’t myself doing anything else as a career besides acting. Shortly after this decision, I also made the decision to enroll myself at a four year institution (college). I want to be a trained actress and respected as an intellectual. Thus far, I have been doing a pretty good job. I am in my third year of college pursuing an education in Mass Communications.


Where do you see yourself five years from now?


I see myself as a paid and professional actress. The professional aspect has been here all along. Conquering both Broadway and box offices. I also see myself working with children, which is another passion of mine. I think it’s important to instill good morals and good manners into our children. If we want out children to do honorable things, we must do honorable things.


Any future projects?

At this moment, I am looking to venture into modeling as well as beauty pageants. I enjoy modeling but I never thought I had the means to pursue modeling as a career. I want to compete in beauty pageants because it was always something I wanted to do as a child. I’ve always wanted to be a beauty queen. My mom never let compete in beauty pagents but it never stopped my desire to want to compete in them. Competing and winning beauty pageants is a personal goal of mine. When I do win, I want to use my platform a means to empower children in any way I can. Last but not least, I want to obtain my PHD. I like the sound of Dr. Martinez.


What type of impact would you like to have?

I want to have a big and everlasting impact on the lives of others. I want others to remember me as a professional actress who gave her time and efforts to improving and helping out our children. I also want people to know, if I can do it, they can do it. I’m in college, they can go to college. I am an actress, they can also be an actress. If you want to be a doctor, then become a doctor, a lawyer, a judge, a professor etc. Remember, with time and efforts anything is possible. I did not get where I am by sitting on my butt all day watching time go by. I did my homework! Do yours. It is not easy and it’s still not. Although, I have impacted the lives of the children in my church, I still feel I have not done enough. In my eyes, there is still more to come from me. I have not realized my full potential but believe me, I will.


Any advice for those who want to pursue their acting aspirations?


This advice is not only for aspiring actors and actresses but for all goal getters. I would say do your research and I can’t stress this statement enough. I would also say find a mentor in your field. I have mentors and they have helped me a lot in terms of guidance. There are many things that many adolescents and adults should not have to experience or know about. You can learn from your mistakes and achievements of others.


For More On Ms. Kathy Martinez:

0 comments:

Post a Comment