Recent Posts

Monday, August 24, 2009

Next Stop...Success!

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose.
-Richard Leider


What if from the very moment you begin your day down to the last few minutes before ending it , every step you took correlated to everywhere you wanted to go? (ie: toward the things/goals/dreams/aspirations you want to attain) If you can imagine this or even begin to identify with having days like this you have an idea of how our next featurette, Noree Victoria perceives and experiences the world.


Originally from Baltimore, MD, this young yet seasoned actress keeps success well with in reach while at the same, cognizant that to continue along the path of success constantly looks to improve herself. Interestingly enough what makes this all possible is the fact that Noree does what she loves and doesn't have any plans on letting go of her dreams.

[As told to Why Blue Matters...]


Interest(s):

Acting of course...And ourside of my craft, I enjoy a good book, writing children's stories, fashion, traveling, dancing, people watching, cooking, the company of good friends and anything that involves speed or the stimulation of adrenaline.


What do you like most about acting?

I'm IN LOVE with the process of constant evolution, growth, learning and transformation that acting encourages. And if I don't have it, like when water stands still, I feel stagant. Acting allows me to fulfill my most fundamental personal desires, without having to actually commit myself to being a real life "gypsy." From week to week , day to day, or sometimes even hour to hour, I can be someone new, live a different life...experience everything from being a crack addict to a scientist to a queen. I'm never bored. Boredom and montony are torturous to me. What I do is the ultimate fantasy ride, all of my own creation once I breathe life into a new character.


What inspires and motivates you?

More than anything, I'm inspired by people who wander off the beaten path to accomplish great things...And I'm motivated from within-knowing how blessed I am to be able to what I love. Never wanted to let go of this dream, is more motivation than I'll ever need.


How long have you been involved in Performing Arts?

I come from an entertainment family, and grew up around a sister who went to Juilliard and made a very successful career for herself in the Performing Arts (Penny J Jerald), but I've only been acting full time for about 3 years now. I went to college first, earned my undergrad degrees in Biology and Writing, and a Masters degree in Information Technology - none of which I found particularly fulfilling, except for creative writing which I still do. Now, I am doing what I truly love.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

I don't proclaim to be the best, but I am good at what I do, and I'm constantly getting better - because I work hard and I train hard, and I remain open to learning. I'm in LOVE with my craft. I'm married to it, and I take care of it. I respect it. That being said, as long as I don't give up, I see my progress each year growing exponentially from the year before. In this business, that doesn't necessarily mean more roles, or more notoriety or even more money, but it means that you're growing, and eventually, you'll be recognized for the awesome things you bring to the table. In 5 years, what I have now by way of talent and deserved blessings, will simply be magnified.


Tell me a little about how your travels lead you to link with Jay Goldenberg?

I won Best Actress in my category in a national Actors' competition (AMTC) in Orlando at the beginning of this year. A representative from the New York Conservatory of the Dramatic Arts was there scouting, and she observed my performances. I was then invited to audition for her personally, and after performing my monologue, she was impressed enough to award a partial scholarship for me to come and study during this summer. Jay Goldenberg - Associate Artistic Director of the Conservatory, and Salma Hayek's personal acting coach, is one of my instructors for the duration of my studies.

Any future projects?

Since studying at the Conservatory, I was on somewhat of partial hiatus from auditioning. My schedule consisted of 9 hours of training everyday, followed by 4-5 of assignments. However, I'm slated for a role as a young mother/drug addict in a docudrama called Saving Children's Lives, filming in Atlanta. And right before coming to the Conservatory, I worked on a short film, "The Battle from Within" as the lead, and on "The Blind Side" with Sandra Bullock.




Any advice for those looking to pursue their Performing Arts dreams?

I once attend a phenomenal workshop with two casting directors - one of whom opened with this statement:


"Actors are some the laziest people in this work. They routinely just don't do their homework...Except for the good ones."

And from that moment on, he had my undivided attention. He went on to ask how many of us had ever ridden the subways of New York, and if we have, we'd know that a train comes approximately every 30 seconds, unlike smaller cities where train arrivals are spaced at longer intervals. So if you happen to be talking or dawdling, no worries, the next one is coming right up. However, he said, there are people that will run you OVER to get inside that train before the door closes, knowing full well that another is arriving in the next 30 seconds.

"Anything less than that level of drive and commitment to your career is unacceptable," he said. And I have always been inclined to agree.

What we do is difficult. It's competitive. "No" is the answer to 99% of our questions. Rejection is the norm. So given that the path is already strewn with obstacles before we even begin, we do ourselves a great disservice when we create our own. Embracing laziness. Accepting defeat. Pursuing your craft without passion. Letting the opinions of others eat away at who you are...And adding insult to injury, are those that mull along at their own pace on subway platforms, gawking at the person running as if they were a madman.

I say, let them gawk. Not everyone wants to take the journey with you, or even understands it. You can't please everyone, nor should you want to. There will be those who don't understand your drive or passion, and it's not your job to make them. That being said - just be awesome at what you do.

Do your homework. Study. TRAIN. Pursue opportunities, and leap through open doors. Be prepared to sacrifice greatly, but for the greatest rewards. And do not believe for one second that anything will be handed to you.

And when those doors just happen to keep closing, or worst yet, when there are those that intentionally step into your path...Remain upright and limber on your feet...and never stop running for that next 30-second train.

0 comments:

Post a Comment